Here's a sample of life in our new home: every time we go outside, we meet a new dog. Think about that. I'm in a small, let's say infinitesimally small corner of suburban America. I go outside to walk around with Adara several times a day. After a week or two in our "old" home, we basically knew all the animals that were out during the day. But not here. Two weeks and we've only repeated a dog meeting two times. (Meaning we met two dogs more than one time each.)
It's incredible! How many dogs can one place handle? I wonder what the total dog population is when you leave my immediate neighborhood?
11 comments:
There are 13 occupied houses on my street. Seven of those houses have dogs (one has 2 cats -- the rebels!). Of those 7, four have 2 dogs each. That's 11 dogs on one street. In contrast, there are only 7 children living on the street.
When you have tallied up your dog neighbors, see how it compares to my street. (Oh, and none of these are little dogs, either. No poodles or chihuahuas. There's one medium-sized fluffy thing, and the other 10 dogs are large animals: sheep dogs, labs, etc.)
I love dogs so I think that you are lucky. Lola passed away I don't know if I had old you that? we miss her badly. Is your place nice? Ward nice? I know you don't have a great neighbor like me anymore :> Do you like Southern living?
As for the food stealing, I let him go for it, he is clearly a starved child as you know.
We have the opposite problem of Writer, tons of kids, very few animals. Personally we are real rebels, we have a turtle! I have found I do much better with pets that I can confine to one small space and I can be sure they will still be there when I return, plus turtles are fairly low maintainance, no exercise or grooming required.
My concern isn't how many you are seeing in the neighborhood, but how many are loose! Don't they have fences in your town? What if one of the dogs goes crazy? (Can you tell I'm scared of dogs?) :)
On a non-dog note, I was looking up a character name in a book and found that Adara in Welsh means "catches birds." Did you know that? I seem to recall your telling me it had a meaning in Greek, but I've forgotten what it was...
Wow - dogs bring comments!
Response for Cloudkicker -
We always see dogs on leashes, followed by owners - so no loose dogs as far as I can tell. No need to be afraid, especially since the dogs are usually not much bigger than Adara.
Writer - I didn't know Adara was a bird catcher in Wales! She's got a good start on that. The birds here are so tame that, when someone approaches, they start hopping away instead of using their wings. Adara will chase a bird for as long as it's on the ground. Maybe one day she'll live up to her name.
BTW - loved your descriptions of the Shakespearean festival. They were almost as good as actually going to the shows. :)
For Dancinfool,
My father-in-law has turtles, too. That makes us very turtle-oriented. I wonder if dad Wilson's turtles influenced us in our choice of living arrangements? (email me for details on that one.) Anyway, I'd trade you neighborhoods any day. We are kid-starved here. Que lastima for my hyper-social-butterfly baby.
For Jenna, (and Writer, you might be interested in this too)
I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I hope it wasn't too tragic. To answer your questions, we have a pretty nice place, but certainly it's not as friendly as Eagle Crest, and there's not as many people out and about during the daytime. The ward is awesome - I have only met a few people one on one, but everyone is friendly and welcoming. And the people I have met one on one have really interesting lives. One highlight is the Chinese history professor who reformatted the Book of Mormon to make it easier to read. He also is an excellent pianist, organist, father, linguist, spiritual leader, and he can grill up some mean spareribs. :) Unfortunately, he and his family live in a distant neighborhood, so, Jenna, your position as my greatest neighbor ever continues to go unrivaled.
Glad you enjoyed the play reviews. :)
Feel free to leave comments on my posts.
Yes, I enjoy reading about your neighbors, too.
And thanks for that hysterically funny e-mail with the Asian English pics. It brought back memories of that night we spent in the hotel room reading the welcome book....
Mary, I've posted a little thing on China, inspired by your e-mail. Have a look -- and a laugh-- on my blog.
Post a Comment