Today's blog is about Adara. And her mama. It's a topic that I am slightly embarrassed to find myself interested in. I never thought I would be affected by it in the same way that other "cute-sy" moms are. No offense to cute-sy moms. I just don't think of myself as cutesy, partly because I'm not into most of the things that other moms think are cute. But today's story has formed a bridge between me and my cutesy mom counterparts.
The story is simple. Adara was playing with another toddler: a girl more than twice Adara's size. I didn't see everything that was happening while they were playing, but the important part was what I did see. Adara was running away from her playmate calling, "Mama, mama, mama!"
It was the first time she's ever done that, and at the time I was distracted from reflecting on the sentiments that arose from the event. Now, in retrospect, I feel all special and motherly inside. It's a new thing for me. And it's not too bad. I guess this is the feeling I'm supposed to treasure up in the memory chest of my heart, and whenever I need to polish my faith in my daughter, I can take out this memory and dust it off.
Oh, and not to ruin the moment or anything (dangit! I just ruined it!), I wanted to comment on the picture at the beginning of this post. I took the picture last month -- well, I should say that Jon took the picture last month. It's a good portrayal of the kind of growth Adara's experiencing: a lot of the growth is in her physical abilities, but she's also learning a ton of language and that is the coolest thing ever! Okay, most of the time she sounds like Flipper singing opera. But it's the thought that counts. Literally. (You could almost see the thought-wheels going when, as we watched Starfire II, Adara signed 'Papa', then 'Mama' alternately as she recognized our voices acting out the parts in the movie. Y'think she knew she was watching science fiction, or does she actually think that that's what reality is like?)
Oh, and one final side note. Think about the picture for a minute. If mama is at the top of the slide, and papa is taking the picture, who's at the bottom to catch Adara?
5 comments:
Ha! That's just a wonderful post. I never thought I'd be as cute-sy as other moms either. But now, I guess more than anything that binds "moms" together, is not the cute-sy clothes or whatnot, it's the *feeling*. Oh, enough cute-sy thoughts. :)
With you at the top of the slide and Jon taking the picture and Adara just growing up - maybe she jumped right off the slide at the end by herself!?
"Okay, most of the time she sounds like Flipper singing opera."
This is the best line in the whole post.
Sorry, but it also stops all the cutesy, sappy mom stuff dead. Most moms aren't honest enough to admit something like this. (Not that it's a bad thing. She's obviously communicating, and that''s good. It's just nice to know you can describe it accurately.)
What!? Starfire II? This time I didn't get to help? I'm ashamed of you two. :P
That sounds like so much fun. I wish we all could live closer. But, I guess there's still time for that to happen. I mean, it's not like Mike and I are settling down in one place, yet or anything... Oh yeah. I forgot. There's always school to keep us here. Dang. :(
I hope you're all having fun.
Speaking of adventures, Lela, Sam, Mike, and I all went on a hike to Waterfall Canyon this morning at 7:30. It's supposed to be a 2 hour hike, but Lela had some breathing problems. We didn't get home until 12:30! But it was totally worth it. Mike hurt his ankle on the way down, I sliced part of my knee open on a rock as I fell and am now very sore around my hip flexers, and Lee and I were exhausted and took a 2 hour nap at my place when we were done.
:D Love ya!
Hey! Hi, Amanda! Haven't seen you for awhile. When are you coming back to dance?
Nathalia,
That's an optimistic thought. I should add that, despite the crash landing from this particular run, Adara nevertheless continued to play on the slide and even threw a little tantrum when it was time to leave because she hadn't had enough yet.
Amanda - I'm jealous of your hiking days. We've tried hiking outside of Utah. It's okay, but it's just not the same. There's just no substitute for gasping for oxygen as you scale cliffs of bare rock.
Post a Comment