Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Walking After Midnight

Life in our small southern town continues to be creatively interesting. Last night I went for a walk. It was late, the weather was beautiful, and I had some things on my mind. So my walk lasted a bit longer than it may have under different circumstances. I was almost back home when I saw a police vehicle behind me. The car slowed, pulled over, and still I kept walking until the officer asked to speak with me.

Yes, indeed, ladies and gentlemen, I, a pedestrian, was being "pulled over" for taking a walk. God bless America! And God bless small towns where police officers have nothing better to do than investigate suspicious housewives taking a breather at 11:00 p.m. I'm not sure if I should feel safer with this knowledge? Or perhaps I can work up some conspiracy theory about small town law enforcement . . .

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is there a curfew law in town?

Cloudkicker said...

I love it! I suppose you can feel good knowing that had you been heartlessly kicked out of your home at all hours of the night the police would have taken you somewhere safe? :)

A Paperback Writer said...

Good thing it was just the police. Did you hear about what happened in Herriman? Two jerks doing one of those neighborhood watch/patrol things had had previous issues with each other, so one followed the other's daughter as she and her friends walked along the street ( the other guy was in an SUV). Then the daughter called her dad, who showed up, ordered the follower neighbor out of his SUV at gunpoint, and shot him. The follower neighbor is now paralyzed for life. This is what happens when big boys play with guns and have had no training for law enforcement.
Again, I'm really glad it was the police and not a neighborhood watch who decided to question you.
And you've traveled enough to know, my dear, that this never would've happened in a big city. It would've been assumed you had every right to walk around if you wanted, since you weren't bugging anyone else. You certainly would've had a lot more privacy in a bigger town.
Sorry it happened to you.

tempppo said...

Thanks for the comments and the sympathy. At the time it happened, I didn't know whether to laugh or be annoyed. So I did both. But in retrospect it's actually kind of funny.

Martha - curfew law. That's an interesting idea. I'll look into it.

Beadles said...

Mary,
I didn't realize you had a blog until today. Kind of silly now that I think about it - I know you read my blog from time to time. Anyway, Ryan is watching the Tigers play baseball and I am bored out of my mind so I decided to see who might have a blog that I haven't read. I have really enjoyed your blog. I love the entry about "the town with no children" and the picture of the fire hydrant in the middle of the woods is great! Any new friends there? I really hope so!