Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Real Genius

I'd never seen this ancient Val Kilmer classic, but was sure I'd heard about it. It brings back memories of jr. high GT. What I especially liked was the moral: don't take yourself (smart kids, especially) too seriously. But don't get so lost in having fun that you fail to consider the impact of your actions on the world around you.

Personally, I'm still trying to lear that lesson. Anyone else need a refresher?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a funny movie. The lesson? I think I need to laugh at myself more (and not try to control everything around me... Sigh.)

tempppo said...

Sounds familiar. We're kindred spirits, I think.

A Paperback Writer said...

I LOVE that movie! You probably heard me quote from it dozens of times without realizing it when you were a kid. ("It's a moral imperative." "Your mother puts license plates in your underwear?")
This movie is right up there with "Ghostbusters," "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure," and "Better Off Dead" on the list of must-see, quotable 80s movies.
I'm glad you enjoyed it so much.

tempppo said...

If I had to choose a favorite quote from the movie (besides the license plate one, that one is lol funny.), it'd be a tie between the following two:

Did you know there's a guy living in our closet?
"You've seen him too?"
Who is he? Why does he keep going in our closet?
"Why do you keep going in our closet?"
To get my clothes, but that's not why he goes in there.
"Of course not, he's twice your size. Your clothes would never fit him.

AND

I used to be you. And lately i've been missing me, so I asked [the dean] if I could room with me again, and he said "Sure."

A Paperback Writer said...

Oh, I definitely agree. Great choices. I love the second one.
I also love the scene where the kid wakes up and goes in to use the restroom and the girl follows him, talking on and on about the sweater and how she never sleeps. He's smashed his body up against the urinal, trying to pretend he's listening to her talk, when she finally takes a breath and asks, "Are you done yet?"
"Actually," he says, "I haven't started."
"Is that because I"m here?"
He gives some affirmative answer which I can't recall, and she replies "weird" and shrugs.
Dang. Now I've got to dig out my old VHS copy of the movie and watch it again.

A Paperback Writer said...

Just had to let you know: I just got a visit from Mr. Squishy. Remember him?