Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Humility

Quick thought I want to save somewhere before I forget it:

True humility includes a sense of being loved in your imperfections.

5 comments:

Clarrisa Bartholomew said...

Where did you see/hear that quote?

Bonnie said...

This is very good. It makes me think that a vicious circle of pride begins when we have a lack of self worth and don't understand our divine nature. That lack of worth comes from not understanding God, his infinite love for us and his divine nature that we as his children have inherited. We then will seek for approval from the world to fill that need of self worth. That need for approval from the world leads us to seek to elevate ourselves above other people to make sure we are "worthy" and "worth while". The only measurement we have, if we are lacking a knowledge of our divine nature and value as a child of God, is how we stack up to other people.

That was great and prompted a lot of thought on my part. Thanks

tempppo said...

Clarrisa - I wish I knew who else has said this, so I could learn from them! Hahaha! But to answer your question, it was a thought given to me because I am finally ready for this lesson in my life.

Bonnie -- glad you got some good thought from it. It's a lesson God has been teaching me for some time. Definitely provoking a lot of thought in me, too. :)

Clarrisa Bartholomew said...

I love what Bonnie said and I would like to add one thing to it that I believe. The beginning of the pride cycle starts when something we do doesn't match with who we are or who we know we should be (aka - we sin). Then we begin to feel a lack of self worth and if we do not change or fix what we did (repent)then the rest of what Bonnie said happens. Usually we don't repent because of pride. I wish everyone could realize that it isn't the sin that is the problem, it is what you choose to do after you sin. Lessons, lessons. And doesn't that fit with Mary's thought? Applying the atonement allows us to feel love through our imperfections which makes us feel very humble because a very perfect God who cannot allow sin in any degree will still love us through our sin if we accept the gift of His Son into our lives. Love it.

tempppo said...

Thanks Cliss. You described that very clearly, and I hope I can remember it with such clarity. Right now I think where I am at is recognizing when i am feeling the low self worth, and then I skip straight to the idea of asking the Lord to help me feel His love. The intermediate steps you've listed should help, I think.