The house, normally joyfully echoing the sounds of playing children, is now totally silent. The youngest is napping, his sisters playing at the neighbor's house. My main afternoon chore ostensibly finished, I sit in a sort of confusion. What am I supposed to do now? I actually finished a task without needing to promise my attention to someone else as soon as I had "a chance." I know there are more things on my list of preparations for the trip we're taking tomorrow, but I can't focus on what would be most important to do now.
I sit as if in mire. Mental mire. Mud. that means mud. Only I think it implies a conglomeration of more than simple dirt and water. My mind envisions a medieval "road" on which all manner of sheep, goats, and the occasional horse crossed, leaving a remnant or two of themselves behind, to be mixed with the dirt. I wonder if someone ever thought to change the course of the road just a bit so they could use that well-worked and well-fertilized ground for planting crops?
I feel a little better now: having mentally travelled several hundred years gives me a sense of accomplishment despite my real physical immobility.
Stand up. Yes, I will start with that.
2 comments:
And before I could even stand up, the children returned from the neighbor's house. Such wonderful timing.
Ha! I love your later addition! Welcome home, kiddo! And yes, I mentally tell myself to "stand up" often. It's my first motivator as well.
Post a Comment