Saturday, February 28, 2015

Ask and Ye Shall Receive

Juliette understands her world. Among the things that are pertinent to the world of a two year old, she is perfect in understanding the communication addressed to her (and probably much of what is not addressed to her.)

In the last two months she has started to communicate back to us. She uses whole sentences, though the individual words are less than clear, for the most part. Contextual clues make understanding quite simple. And Everyone in the family works with her on correct pronunciation by repeating her words and emphasizing the key sounds.

This morning she said something she has never communicated before. She comes to sleep in my bed every morning in the wee hours, and she regularly asks to breastfeed. The rule (when I am consciously aware of the situation) is that we don't breastfeed in the middle of the night.

So this morning, when I told her she could snuggle with me but we would not breastfeed, she cried, which is normal. And I repeated myself, which is normal.

But then, as her anguish seemed to be a bit more urgent than usual, she said, with her 2-year-old, marble-filled-mouth pronunciation, "I need the milk!!"

She has successfully learned stage one of "how to get mom to break the rules."

1 comment:

Lisa Shafer said...

Actually, I think it's called "successful negotiation." Or possibly "manipulation."
I foresee a good future in business management for this girl. :)