Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Steam of consciousness - follow the prophet

following the prophet doesn't mean I blindly give my allegiance to him and do everything he asks without question.

It simply is a disposition. I am disposed to give the prophet the benefit of the doubt. Upon my own searching and prayer, I will then take action.

What we are taught as Church members is that, if you search and pray, you will find the same answers that the prophet has given.

What happens when you don't get those same answers?

Implication is you need to wait for a time. you need to trust in the Lord. Perhaps there is something in your life that is not in line with the commandments? This is where the difficulty arises.

If I am not living the commandments, the Church says my understanding of God's word to me may be influenced by my unrighteous thinking or actions. Like looking through a dirty lens.

On the other hand, if I feel that my actions are not sinful, then I may question the validity of the prophet. I think this is where many people are at today. They do not see how their actions are sins. They think their ideas are good, they are right, and it is the prophet and apostles who are living in a false tradition that has passed out of fashion.

What about me? I believe that God speaks to me. There are many habits and attitudes that I believe would be healthy for me to live, that I do not live. I then question my ability to judge the rightness or wrongness of what the prophet says is a good way to live. Until I can live in the way my conscience tells me I should live, I feel unqualified to make a judgment on anyone else's life or ideas.

But I give the prophet the benefit of the doubt. I lean towards the side of believing the prophet.


No comments: