Sunday, July 13, 2008

Hamlet, a Baby, and Some Teens



Apparently, Adara is the star of this blog, as everyone keeps asking for more pictures. I'll post a few here for now, but the best way to see "more pictures of Adara" is at picasaweb. If you need the addy, drop me a line and I'll send it to you.
On the left, Adara is sporting her new favorite expression - shocked surprise. Above, she is taking care of her baby, which she asks for frequently, especially at mealtimes. I wonder why she associates caring for babies with food?

Finally, here is a picture of the playground - the best spot to satiate Adara's adventurous spirit - and a family photo which I thought turned out pretty well.


As for my life, well, that's a mixed bag. In the last few days I have attended the Young Women's camp, talked to the assistant editor of a local publishing company, and attended a production of "I Hate Hamlet" performed by the local community theater. A diverse array of activities, and therefore a satisfied soul at the end of a week.

The assistant editor at the publishing company graciously agreed to answer some of my questions about what his job is like. It was a victory for me, mainly because I have found lately that I dread talking to new people about pretty much anything -- especially if I have to put on the "I've got my life under control" face. I did manage to put that face on during the phone conversation -- even though the ast ed called me back right as I was recovering from Adara's excrementally smelly wardrobe malfunction. Somehow she didn't have a diaper on during most of the telephone conversation, and as I hung up the phone I had to clean the carpet again - although this time it was not as bad.

Another highlight from my recent activities involves a line from "I Hate Hamlet". The brief setup is that Andrew is going to play Hamlet. Deirdre, Andrew's girlfriend, has suggested that she would like to audition for the part of Ophelia.

D: Oh Andrew, could I audition? Would they let me?
A: I guess I could ask them.
D: Would you? And it wouldn't be sleazy, because I'm not sleeping with you! Isn't that perfect?
A: Deirdre, that's nuts. It's like . . . show business for Mormons.
D: It's going to be the best! Good night, sweet . . .
A: Don't say it! If I can't have sex, I don't know why I should play Hamlet.
D: Sweet prince! (exits)
A: What is this -- a test? No sex? Shakespeare? It's like high school!

I wonder if the author of this play knew about the plan of salvation . . . ?
Which leads us to the Young Women's camp. All I have to say about that is, the combined personality of the Young Women in my new ward is more than my entire graduating class at Westminster College. As Westminster prides itself on being the "only non-denominational private liberal arts school" in Utah, with ties to, but no official affiliation with the Presbyterian Church, you would think there would be a lot of interesting personalities. But these young women beat that, hands down. It's going to be an interesting year at church . . .

3 comments:

Jenna Eve said...

Love the pics keep them coming.

Anonymous said...

I am such a space! I forgot to call last Sunday (I came down with the flu...no excuse but I was a bit preoccupied obviously). I love having your blog to read, it keeps me a little mor ein the loop. Love to you all and I will try and remember to call this week. Kisses Munch!

A Paperback Writer said...

"I have found lately that I dread talking to new people about pretty much anything "
Whoa. This is definitely not a Mary-thing with which I'm familiar! Did this start with the move? Or is it a leftover from that weird hormonal thing that happened with the pregnancy?
Well, good for you for getting some info in spite of the case of the missing diaper.
And thanks for the nice long e-mail on my birthday. You are a sweetheart.
Remember to check my blog now and then for the next few weeks, as I'll be in Scotland.

Word verification: soybnz
Is this some new vegan foodproduct? Or a health store owner's license plate?