Today I had my first motherhood experience with the expression "bouncing off the walls".
Adara is not a stable child. Normally, I would only mean that in the context of the inner-ear. If I had a nickel for every time she hit her head on something or fell over nothing, I would use it to buy her a crash helmet. As it happened, she improvised one this morning.
Putting the blanket over her head, Adara ran blindly into the high wooden end of her crib, propelling herself backward for several steps before collapsing on the mattress, then repeating the process ad nauseum before she finally fell asleep for her nap.
It reminded me of football linebackers practicing with crash pads to block their opponents. At least they have sense to use the pads. But knowing that my 15-month-old has the same amount of sense as a football linebacker is a little bit concerning. No offense intended for any linebackers who may be reading this. I know football players are really smart and the stereotype is intended to get people off the players' backs - I mean that figuratively of course.
Look at it this way: a lot of college football players major in philosophy. Every time I tell someone that I majored in philosophy, they say, "Wow, you're really smart." So I guess now we know what Adara inherited from me. Maybe one day she will join the football team . . . or major in philosophy.
P.S. Sorry for not having any pictures. I can't find my camera.
1 comment:
Well, she took a familiar object with one use she knows about and used it in a different but effective way. That's actually pretty smart. She might be bouncing off walls but she's thinking outside the box. Let's just hope she doesn't use the blanket as a parachute or she'll be bouncing outside the box, which would be bad.
Post a Comment