Saturday, April 17, 2010

Physiology

Ever since the Easter Egg Hunt when Adara ran full-force into a glass wall and bloodied her nose, she has been fascinated with the idea of blood. Looking at a broken baby doll, she asked me, "What's inside the baby?" I told her it was just air. Naturally, she then asked what was inside of her. Bones, blood, muscles, tendons, and other stuff, was my response.

Now, if you ask her what's inside of her, as Jon did this morning, she will reply:
"Bones and blood."

Taking it a step further, Jon asked her, "What's inside your head?"
"Air," she said, without even pausing to think.

Being the compassionate parent that he is, after Jon had caught his breath, he supplied Adara with the correct answer: "Blood and brains."

2 comments:

A Paperback Writer said...

I hope this is not a sign that she will one day be a cheerleader. :P

A story you'll enjoy: I heard my back gate clank and squeak open a few days ago and wondered who it was, so I went outside onto the back porch. I couldn't see anyone, but the gate was partially open. I went over to it and found Owen, my two-year-old neighbor (he of the wedding ring and dried cherries blogpost), wearing a diaper and lots of chocolate pudding, holding garden pruners in his hands and chopping away at my forsythia bush.
"Hey, Owen, whatcha doin'?" I asked him.
"Trimmin' bushes," he replied.
Actually, he repeated his goal several times, more and more loudly, as I scooped him up and carried him off to "see mommy."

Bonnie said...

He he! Love it. Can't beat funny things kids say. What a good dad..