Sunday, January 26, 2014

The Long Arm of God

I lived a Mormon stereotype today. My son is an exuberant new Sunbeam. This is his third week in the "big kid class" (a.k.a., Junior Primary), and I have the pleasure of witnessing these precious moments because I am the pianist.

I was half listening to the lesson while I discussed music matters quietly with the chorister. A member of the bishopric was setting up the lesson by waving his keys in the air and talking about the importance of keys. I heard him mention Jesus, and suddenly I heard a familiar voice say, quite loudly,

"Jesus saves us from the darkness!"

The Bishopric Guy was surprised, but recovered quickly. "Yes, He does. He does save us from the darkness."

"Can He open the door?" Keenan, had obviously been paying attention.

"Yes He can."

"Does He have long arms?" (I gather that the doors of heaven had been described as big, heavy doors.  I guess Keenan was trying to get his head around how a person could open such big doors.)

By this point, the whole adult population of the Primary was smiling up their sleeves and bishopric guy said a quick testimony, making sure to say that Jesus' body is like ours, and he has two regular sized arms. I was crying from laughing and from pride.

2 comments:

Lisa Shafer said...

Perhaps Jesus is just really strong to open those big doors to heaven.....

I was always bothered by that painting of Behold, I Stand at the Door and Knock, where there's no doorknob. At church, we always heard that it was because we had to let Jesus in. But a Baptist woman told me it was because Jesus could come into our hearts without a doorknob. However, the hinges are clearly on the side of the door nearest the viewer, so I always figured the doorknob was just behind his body and out of sight.
I found this confusing as a teenager. :)
As a 3-year-old, my most confusing thing was the lyrics to Silent Night. I had a hard time figuring out what a "round yon virgin" was. I knew about the Virgin Mary from my dad's art books, so I came to the conclusion that a "round yon" was the halo I always saw in those same paintings.
I think I was about 12 before I figured out what that line really meant.

tempppo said...

I love those kid interpretations of song lyrics. Isn't it really fantastic that we actually figure out the real meanings? I was just listening to some brain research and it is fascinating how complex the brain really is.