When my Granddaddy was a boy and he was hungry, he would go to the river. I guess I don't know all the details about that, because I'm wondering now why he didn't try to catch fish. Maybe he was too hungry and went for the easy calories! (Think about the title of this post.)
As an adult, out with friends and work associates, sometimes the opportunity to eat shellfish came up. From what I've been told, my Granddad did not care to eat shellrish as an adult. I reflected on that as I opened a can this morning -- oily, already-shelled shellfish in a convenient can. Maybe it doesn't taste like a delicacy. Maybe it is hardly palatable at all. But the fat and other benefits assure me that I won't be hungry when I eat them. And at least some of what's in the food is good for me.
I wonder whether I'll go the way of my Grandfather as I expand my horizons, and stop wanting to eat the little creatures found in riverbeds and on the ocean floor. Or maybe I will aspire to be like Sam Walton, eating a can of tuna while chatting with boots-on-the-ground employees in my stores.
No comments:
Post a Comment