Sunday, August 2, 2026

Sleeping babies, bedtime, dads with lower cortisol

I read a short post about dads putting babies to sleep. The claim was that dads carry less cortisol than moms and therefore may have better outcomes when they manage their baby's bedtime.

So ----- that might be generally true in the culture I live in. Though it can be true that females have low cortisol, as well, and they remain calm as they observe the baby, looking for signals that baby is giving to communicate its needs. So in that case, mom would have good outcomes for bedtime. It seems it should be equally possible for a man or a woman to be effective at bedtime, provided the person has learned to navigate life and babies with lower cortisol / stress.

For me as a mother, it was true that I carried more cortisol. When dad put the kids to bed, everything went smoothly and I was grateful for that. But I also thought there was something I should have been doing differently, some way I could have more success with putting the children to bed myself.

When Adara was very young, Jon watched me trying to care for her. At some point, Jon finally convinced me to leave the house and go somewhere while he worked to calm and care for Adara. I did leave, but I had nowhere to go. We lived in Phoenix, Arizona, and I didn't have a support group or friends --- I didn't know how to develop a support group or ask the Relief Society or my ministering sisters and brothers for help.

There were families in the ward who were aware of us. I can't tell you any of their names now. Oh, except a guy named, I think, Frank. He was a musical person and arranged for me to sing a solo (I think I remember) at a theater production..... or something. 

Well, I thought there was something the matter with me that I couldn't get Adara to be calm and to sleep well. And as the years went by, and Jon would put the kids in their beds and they would all go to sleep ..... and I didn't have that same experience. The kids didn't calm down and go right to bed when I was the one putting them to bed.

I was frustrated. I knew there had to be a different way of being, but I didn't know where to begin.

No comments: