Friday, October 8, 2010

More Fun Thoughts

While we were still in Pittsburgh, Adara was having quiet time (in the hopes that she'd fall asleep). After awhile, I checked on her and found that she had been playing with "the light thing" (electrical outlet). She reported that someone had kicked her when she was playing with it. I'm glad she didn't make anyone in there mad enough to do more than kick!

And here's a thought I had awhile ago, concerning a discussion I had well over a year ago with some women (young and experienced) in the Church. As the teacher of the young women's class, I felt responsible to teach that the woman's primary role is to champion the cause of home and family. Sadly, I was less tactful with my wording when I was teaching, and conflict ensued.

Although I agonized over the situation for months at the time, it has been only recently (and seemingly out of the blue) that I have formulated a more practical and realistic (i.e., less idealistic) idea of the situation. The new formulation would say, in effect, that the decision to commit oneself to strengthening homes and families need not exclude the decision to pursue academic or professional interests. I believe it is not healthy to repress these desires entirely, but that some degree of modifications to our plans may be necessary if we are to pursue both family and career.

For example, my chosen profession is in publishing (though education has always been a contender for the top choice as well). Because of my individual circumstances and my personal temperament, I have chosen only minimal involvement in this profession for the time being. I enjoy my monthly publishing adventures, however modest they are, and it helps to remind me what my professional goals are.

Sometimes I do long for more time to pursue this path. But I'm sure that time will come soon enough. And for now there are plenty of joys to relish and plenty of challenges to learn from in the situation I am currently in. There will be time for more (eternally speaking, if not temporally.)

1 comment:

nathalia said...

Hope you're enjoying the holiday season with your three kiddos! I haven't followed your travels well... you're in Atlanta now? For how long?

And I wanted to comment on this post for a while... but I think your 'modifications' are quite in tune with the spirit of the eternal plan for women. Both, or all things, can be done... just in time... eternal time. Unfortunately, some YW classes and teachers tend to focus only on one or the other 'side' when teaching and focus only on the temporal... but then again, it's hard to cover such an important decision and options in a half hour.

Miss you guys! Were that another possibility for meeting up were present!