Monday, October 11, 2010

Toddler Realism

The nursery leader in our new ward related this to me:
For snack time in nursery the children were eating
goldfish crackers. The teachers were saying that the
goldfish would swim around in the children's
tummies, round and round and round.

Adara didn't buy it because she knew better. She told them that after goldfish go to your tummy, they don't stay there and swim, they go down to your intestines. So much for encouraging creative play in young children -- Adara's already all fact and no fiction.

And now, here's a grandma-pleasing memory of Naomi at church: She picked up my cell phone, and as soon as she put it up to her ear, she started saying, "Nana, Nana!" :) Guess who Naomi calls most often on the telephone?

(Intestine illustration credit: http://www.after50health.com/diseases-of-the-colon.html)

3 comments:

A Paperback Writer said...

I love the Adara story. Funny.
I recall my grandmother telling me when I was about 6-ish that if I ate my oatmeal, the little bloodmen would come and take it away to help feed my body. I remember puzzling over this several times to try to make it jive with what I was learning in school. I believe that I came to the conclusion that Grandma must've forgotten what she'd learned in school because it had been too long ago. It never occurred to me that she might be making up a fairy tale for me. I thought she was serious.
On the other hand, I recall knowing instinctively that the whole Tooth Fairy and Easter Bunny things were just games of pretend and not to be taken at face value.

tempppo said...

That story gives me hope for Adara. You're a pretty creative person, so maybe being a bit literal-minded as a child won't cancel out the fun of making stuff up later in life.

Jenna Eve said...

Wow Adara sounds like a little genius. I am glad you FINALLY updated your blog. More baby pictures. I do see the resemblance between AVes and Naomi but I need more pics :>